Job Opening: New Product - Sourcing Engineer
Applications Accepted: Until Filled
Leatherman Tool Group, Inc. is seeking a Sourcing Engineer for our world headquarters located in Portland, Oregon. Leatherman is the world leader in the design and manufacturer of innovative, high quality, compact, multi-purpose tools. We employ over 500 team members in our 90,000 square feet facility. Visit our website at: www.leatherman.com
The successful candidate for the Sourcing Engineer – New Products will provide sourcing support to Product Development teams in all phases of new product development from a research stage through successful completion of deliverables to Operations at product launch. This includes working directly with existing Suppliers as well as identifying, developing and incorporating new Suppliers into Leatherman’s operations. It also includes coordinating the manufacturing or procurement of prototypes in all phases of product development. Responsible for understanding major deliverables and using the appropriate management tools to develop a successful product on time and within budget. Such tools include: New Supplier Selection Process, Product Cost and Sourced Part Total Cost Models, Detailed Project Schedules and Research Briefs.
We encourage you to apply for this position if you are an Engineer who:
· Is passionate about doing great work.
· Loves to be challenged.
· Is curious about everything.
· Is resourceful and determined to figure things out.
· Wants to share knowledge with and learn from others.
· Brings something unique to the organization.
You would be joining a team that has these traits in common and who looks forward to working with you.
The ideal candidate must:
· Have engineered products and wants to enable others to do so.
· Enjoy both domestic and international travel and work well with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
· Bring a can-do spirit and strive to bring the best possible cost, timing and technical capability from external sources to our company, products and teams.
· Maintain an understanding of Leatherman’s product roadmap and key points of differentiation for each product.
· Research new and existing Suppliers, processes, materials which are targeted to key points of product differentiation.
· Proactively track and communicate progress on research and sourcing activities to Product Development teams and Operation’s Sourcing department.
· Create and present comprehensive research findings including design guides and supplier process capabilities and major supplier points of differentiation.
· Use supplier evaluation processes to qualify new/potential Suppliers in support of new product development
· Develop an in-depth understanding of value-added manufacturing processes and cost to influence product roadmap and sourcing decisions.
· Discover and identify cost drivers which include parts and tooling, chart out labor, subcontract, material, amortization and consumables.
· Discover and identify lead time drivers including parts and tooling, chart out design, build, FA and manufacturing lead time.
· Understand and use product cost and profitability models to help drive discussions and make decisions when implementing new products and product improvements.
· Work directly with the Suppliers from early research stages through completion of deliverables to manufacturing including product launch.
· Effectively interface with Suppliers to negotiate optimal terms for sourcing. Understanding the tradeoffs between cost, volume, and quality in order to strike agreements that meet Leatherman’s performance criteria and secure long term supply continuity.
· Get new Suppliers added into our ERP system, working with Accounting and Legal departments to ensure appropriate documentation is completed by the Supplier.
· Establish and hold Suppliers accountable to aggressive supporting development and implementation activities.
· Directly responsible to issue and revise purchase orders within our ERP system through all phases of product development to support product launch, transitioning to Buyer responsibility at time of product launch.
Experience and Education Requirements:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering required: Mechanical, Manufacturing, or Industrial Engineering preferred.
· 5 or more years of progressively complex technical experience involving the latest state-of-the-art applications and techniques in process engineering and project management experience.
· Demonstrated leadership capability with cross-functional teams, manufacturing and high volume production.
· High degree of flexibility and ability to manage multiple projects and resources across a wide range of assignments.
· Requires skills in DFM tools, CAD, GD&T and theories of gauging.
· Excellent skills in interpersonal communication and teamwork.
· Possess strong written and oral communication skills.
· Work independently and possess a high level of self-motivation and initiative.
Excellent Benefit Package:
Competitive Compensation, 401k Employer Match up to 5%, Profit Share Annual Bonus at Forecasted Profit Levels up to 15%, Medical, Dental, Life Insurance, Award Winning Wellness Program, PTO, 10 Paid Holidays, Opportunities for Career Advancement and Personal Growth with Educational Reimbursement Program, Employee Assistance Program and Employee Discount on Products. Come be part of the Leatherman Team.
Please watch your email for upcoming communication(s) and information.
We thrill our consumers with quality, products and service; We care about each other’s well-being; We share ideas, challenge each other and do the right thing; We respect each other, show humility and grow from our failures; We foster the development of individuals to reach their greatest potential