Job Opening: Sourcing Engineer, New Products
Applications Accepted: Until Filled
Leatherman Tool Group, Inc. is seeking a Sourcing Engineer, New Products for our world headquarters located in Portland, Oregon. Leatherman is the world leader in the design and manufacturer of innovative, high quality, compact, multi-purpose tools. We employ over 500 team members in our 90,000 square feet facility. Visit our website at: www.leatherman.com
The successful candidate for the Sourcing Engineer, New Products will provide sourcing support to Product Development teams in all phases of new product development from a research stage through successful completion of deliverables through Production Ready Review. This includes working directly with existing Suppliers as well as identifying, developing and incorporating new Suppliers into Leatherman’s operations. It also includes coordinating the manufacturing or procurement of prototypes in all phases of product development. Responsible for understanding major deliverables and using the appropriate management tools to develop a successful product launch on time and within budget.
The ideal candidate must be able to:
· Maintain an understanding of Leatherman’s product roadmap and how it impacts our strategic supply base. Identify gaps and develop plans to address.
· Develop an in-depth understanding of our key supply partner’s capabilities and apply this knowledge to influence Leatherman’s future product roadmap and sourcing decisions.
· Work collaboratively with Engineering and Quality to ensure that Leatherman has technical expertise on varying sourced components.
· Identify new Suppliers as needed in support of our New Product Introduction process. Evaluate Suppliers for both commercial and technical fit for Leatherman.
· Discover and identify cost drivers and gain an understanding of total cost through the supply chain – including processes internal to Leatherman.
· Establish project schedules and manage Suppliers to adhere to project schedules. Discover and identify lead time drivers including design, tooling, FAI and manufacturing lead time.
· Work directly with existing supply partners on projects that improve the success of both Leatherman and the Supplier.
· Effectively interface with Suppliers to negotiate optimal terms for sourcing.
· Directly responsible to issue and revise purchase orders within our ERP system through all phases of New Product Introduction to support product launch.
· Proactively provide status of Supplier progress to New Product Introduction teams.
· Maintain knowledge of rapid prototyping processes, capabilities and suppliers.
· Add new Suppliers into our ERP system. Work with Accounting and Legal departments to ensure appropriate documentation is completed by the Supplier.
· Develop own itinerary and travel arrangements through Leatherman’s travel agency to travel domestically and internationally to identify potential sources for new components and processes. Utilize understanding of existing and new technologies to select appropriate Suppliers.
· Review new design specifications and provide input to Design Engineering on new component technology and assist in component selection with quality and reliability analysis from a manufacturability perspective.
Experience and Education Requirements:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering required. Mechanical, Manufacturing, Industrial Engineering preferred.
· Five years related manufacturing process capability experience required with direct focus on Supplier development, audits and continuous improvement preferred.
· Knowledge of stainless steel coil, stamping, metal casting, MIM and plastic molding preferred.
· Excellent skills in interpersonal relationships, communication and teamwork.
· Possess strong written and oral communication skills.
· Strong project management experience (tools and techniques) required.
· MRP/ERP experience preferred.
To Apply: At Leatherman we are also interested in how you think, behave and integrate. With this in mind, please give extra consideration to the questions when you apply thru our online applicant module.
Please watch your email for upcoming communication(s) and information.
Excellent Benefit Package: Competitive Compensation, Bonus Plan, 401k Employer Match up to 5%, Medical, Dental, Life Insurance, Award Winning Wellness Program, PTO and 10 Paid Holidays, Job Shadow Program, Opportunities for Career Advancement and Personal Growth with Educational Reimbursement Program, Employee Assistance Program and Employee Discount on Products. Come be part of the Leatherman Team. Leave nothing undone . . . . including your career!
Core Values: We thrill our consumers with quality, products and service; We care about each other’s well-being; We share ideas, challenge each other and do the right thing; We respect each other, show humility and grow from our failures; We foster the development of individuals to reach their greatest potential