DEPARTMENT OF PLANNING
Salary: $15.00 per hour
Part-Time: 25 hours per week
Open Until Filled
GRTC Transit System in Richmond, Virginia seeks a current graduate student interested in the Mass Public Transportation Industry to assist a busy planning department. The Intern will assist the Planning Department Staff with transit operations analysis, primary and secondary data-gathering, report-writing, research, plan development for special projects and provide administrative support. To gain a comprehensive transit organization experience, the intern will also spend time in the Scheduling, Transportation, and Capital Construction & Facilities Management Departments. The intern will be responsible for completing a major project within the Planning department by the completion of their internship. The intern works in a team environment and must demonstrate organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
WHO MAY APPLY
This position is open to graduate students.
The workweek is Monday through Friday, 25 hours per week.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills Essential to Job Functions
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Basic knowledge of planning principles and practices.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent writing and research capabilities.
- Ability to organize disparate data and generate reports.
- Demonstrated skill in handling multiple tasks concurrently.
- Understanding of word processing, spreadsheet, and computer technology.
- Coursework and experience in using ArcMap.
- Undergraduate degree required, preferably in urban planning or a related field.
- Must be as current graduate student in urban studies, planning, public administration, and political science or leadership studies.
- Experience in a public or non-profit organization preferred but not required.
GRTC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER WHO VALUES DIVERSITY IN THE WORKFORCE.