JOB TITLE: CLERK
DEPARTMENT: FAMILY OPTICAL
CLASSIFICATION: REGULAR PART-TIME 96.25% (BASED ON A 40 HR WORK WEEK)
REPORTS TO: CLINIC MANAGER
STATUS: NON-EXEMPT (UNION POSITION)
SALARY: $29,599.59 FTE + FRINGE BENEFITS
ABOUT THE POSITION: Under general direction the individual in this position will be required to: greet visitors/patients; schedule, verify, and process appointments; open/close encounters for patients; register/re-certify patients, determine source of payment, verify program eligibility and receive payment from patients on previous balance and same day charges; make phone calls as needed in order to determine patient eligibility for services, calculate, collect and process accounts receivables. Individual will be required to work Saturdays.
1. Completion of high school or equivalent, supplemented by at least 2 years of progressively responsible clerical/office experience; & 1 year full-time experience performing accounts receivable functions in a medical setting.
2. Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures and basic medical terminology essential.
3. Ability to follow oral and written instructions, and perform detailed clerical work in a methodical, independent and thorough manner with speed and accuracy.
4. Ability to deal courteously and effectively with a variety of people.
5. Sufficient skill in typing to complete 40-45wpm, operate a computer and a 10-key adding machine.
6. Ability to spell correctly, communicate effectively orally and in writing, and make accurate mathematical computations.
7. Knowledge of various billing functions and programs in optometry.
8. Bilingual English/Spanish or English/Cantonese required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (NOTE: The following are duties performed by employees in this classification. However, not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification. Employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level.)
1. Answers all incoming calls; greets visitors/patients; schedules and verifies appointments and processes appointments; refers visitors and patients to appropriate person or department.
2. Performs routine clerical tasks such as sorting, opening distributing mail, filing photocopying, retrieving, entering and coding specific information.
3. Registers, and re-certifies patients, determines source of payment, verifies program eligibility and receives payment for services rendered.
4. Calculates, collects and processes accounts receivable; negotiates patient payment plans as needed; makes payment arrangements for delinquent accounts and follow-up as deemed necessary.
5. Prepares written communication from rough drafts or detailed instruction; prepares form notices, letters and documents.
6. Other duties as assigned by supervisor.