ABOUT THE POSITION: Under general supervision the individual in this position will be responsible for providing routine clerical duties which include answering incoming telephone calls, greeting visitors and patients; scheduling, verifying and processing appointments; referring visitors and patients to appropriate person or department. Will also register patients, determine source of payment, verify program eligibility and receive payment for services rendered. A primary responsibility will be to ensure that annually every patient is provided with and encouraged to complete a behavioral health screen as they await their medical appointment.
1. Completion of high school or equivalent supplemented by 2-3 years paid experience in a medical clerical setting or equivalent.
2. Knowledge of modern medical office systems and basic medical
3. Ability to follow oral and written instructions; perform detailed clerical work methodically with speed and accuracy.
4. Effective oral and written communication skills and ability to perform
5. Minimum typing speed of 25-30 wpm.
6. Sensitivity to the needs and situations of multi-cultural populations from a variety of income levels.
7. Team player, self-motivated, must be able to work independently as well as collectively to complete daily tasks.
8. Basic working knowledge of insurance coverage.
9. Provides strong patient satisfaction
10. Excellent attention to detail.
11. Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (NOTE: The following are the primary duties performed by employees in this classification. Individual assignments may vary and employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level.)
1. Responsible for greeting and registering patients.
2. Distributing and collecting Behavioral Health Screening forms to all patients in appropriate age group.
3. Creating and maintaining computerized patient records.
4. Answers phones with a pleasant voice in a timely manner and route calls appropriately.
5. Schedule appointments according to policy.
6. Monitor Provider schedules for scheduling errors.
7. Confirm appointments.
8. Make financial arrangements for payment of services and balances due.
9. Accurate capturing of patient demographic, insurance and structured data into EPM at each patient encounter.
10. Check insurance eligibility.
11. Accepts payments, issues receipts, reconciles monies with batch detail report and ensures safe keeping of all cash, checks, and charges received.
12. Appropriately refer patients to HSS for program(s) eligibility determination.
13. Knowledge of eligibility requirements for La Clinica programs including: Medi-Cal, Healthy Families, CHDP, Presumptive Eligibility, Family pact, Sliding Scale.
14. Performs a variety of miscellaneous clerical tasks as time permits.
15. Cross trained for inter department coverage.
16. Participates in meeting and workgroup discussions.
17. Performs other duties as assigned by Department Lead and/or manager.