Job Title: Manufacturing Engineer
The Scot Forge Company in Spring Grove, IL is looking to hire an experienced Manufacturing Engineer. The Manufacturing Engineer uses their knowledge of manufacturing engineering principles and practices to develop and implement production/processing methods and controls to meet customer specifications and quality standards in the most cost efficient manner. In addition, the Manufacturing Engineer will participate in investigations and corrective actions of work-in-process problems, recommend and implement improvements, and/or modifications in sequence of operations, work instructions, equipment utilization, and other related subjects to improve manufacturing quality/process/costs. The qualified candidate will possess a mindset focused on continuous improvement.
- Create/update/maintain routings, work instructions and blueprints to meet customer specifications and quality standards in the most cost efficient manner.
- Interpret engineering specifications (ASTM, ASE, SAE, Customer Specs ...) called out on customer order documentation and determine necessary level of conformance.
- Utilize an understanding of current and potential process capabilities and process control limits.
- Create and maintain Technical Data Sheets.
- Where appropriate for Rework help determine course of action and written procedure/modification of the process plan.
- Review engineering change requests to determine cost/performance impact and how to process them.
- Provide technical support for the use of Manufacturing Engineering tools.
- Design and carry out time studies, method analysis, and other work measurement activities.
- Confer with management, engineering, and other staff regarding manufacturing capabilities, production schedules, and other considerations to facilitate production processes.
- Work with operations and quality to systematically ensure product/documentation quality through process control methods.
- Investigate problems to products/documentation/processes, and implement solutions ensuring timely closure.
- Support and document continuous process improvement opportunities to avoid scrap and waste.
- Serve as a resource, provide expert technical assistance, and deliver on-the-job training to employees owners, to ensure all work is performed per specifications in an expeditious, complete, cost effective and safe manner.
- Support manufacturing employee owners in disciplined approaches to problem solving (including fishbone diagrams, 5s, Lean, Six Sigma, etc.)
- Assist customer Engineers in aligning their part designs to our processes to assure effective manufacturability.
- Will have influence role outside company of building and maintaining relationships with customers and vendors.
- Understand the use of computer simulations of processes and provide input and recommendations for improvements to the plant.
- Work across all plants/shifts to be able to maintain support for production
- Help identify and provide solutions for breaking production constraints/bottlenecks to improve the equipment availability, labor efficiency, and quality rates.
- Coordinate cycle time reduction initiatives through the application of process improvements.
- Develop a learning environment for the Process Technician through continuing education and application training to stay up to date with the current manufacturing methods used in operations.
- Meet key performance measures for the assigned process families in the areas of quality, safety, cost, productivity, and timely release of customer orders.
- Provide effective leadership by challenging the process, inspiring a shared vision, enabling others to act, modeling/leading the way when necessary, and building morale by encouraging the spirit.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering/Technology and 5+ years of equivalent related experience.
- Government Contractor-US Citizen
- Proficiency in technical application of manufacturing practices and demonstrated knowledge.
- Working knowledge of a wide variety of manufacturing processes with a strong background in machining.
- Self-driven, results-oriented, excellent communicator and effective leader.
- Possess and demonstrate above average mathematical and mechanical skills
- Have a clear understanding and experience in applying IE methods to solve complex problems in a manufacturing environment.
-Managerial, planning, analysis, innovation, communication, and negotiation skills.
-Working knowledge of SolidWorks or other computer-aided drafting software.
-Geometrical Tolerance specification/application proficiency.
-Project management skills to develop work agreements, project scopes, specifications, schedules, timelines, and definition of deliverables.
- Extensive experience using Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to communicate a wide variety of technical issues to Customers, Sales, Marketing, Purchasing, Operations and Suppliers.
- Pursue continuing education and technical knowledge in relevant topics.
- Previous experience in the metals industry and/or metallurgy knowledge.
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience in quality tools and relevant safety regulations.
- Experience reviewing aerospace specifications
- Experience in Value Stream Mapping, Time Standards, Line Balancing, and Plant Floor Layout.
- Training in Lean Manufacturing, Visual Factory, Kanban, Kaizen, and Six-Sigma methods.
- Materials flow management experience.
- Experience with ERP or MRP software.
First pass yield of released process plans, prints, and work instructions. (Revisions)
On-time performance of released orders. (Based upon input performance)
Process Improvements (ex. Cycle Time, Tooling, Processes, WIP, Etc…)