JOB TITLE: BILINGUAL/SPANISH SENIOR CLERK
DEPARTMENT: MENTAL HEALTH (CASA DEL SOL)
CLASSIFICATION: REGULAR FULL-TIME 100% (BASED ON A 40 HOUR WORK WEEK)
REPORTS TO: CLINIC MANAGER
STATUS: NON-EXEMPT (UNION POSITION)
SALARY: $32,645.84 FTE + FRINGE BENEFITS
ABOUT THE POSITION: Under general Supervision the individual in this position will be responsible for providing quality assurance duties as well as routine clerical duties. Quality assurance duties include fiscal reviews (reviewing consistency between billing and charting), closing, tracking, and maintaining close charts, distribution of quality assurance reports, monitoring referrals for intakes. Routine clerical duties including filing, answering incoming telephone calls, greeting visitors and patients; scheduling, verifying and processing appointments; referring visitors and patients to appropriate person or department. Will also register patients, determine source of payment, verify program eligibility and receive payment for services rendered. The work schedule for this position covers evening clinic hours. This clerk position focuses on serving patients with mental health disorders so the individual must demonstrate respect and compassion toward people with a variety of challenges related to having mental health problems.
1. Completion of high school or equivalent supplemented by 1- 2 years paid experience in a mental health, medical, or social service clerical setting or equivalent.
2. Knowledge of basic mental health office systems and basic mental health terminology.
3. Ability to demonstrate a calm response to clients in person, or on the phone, who are in crisis.
4. Ability to follow oral and written instructions; perform detailed clerical work methodically with speed and accuracy.
5. Effective oral and written communication skills and ability to perform arithmetic calculations.
6. Minimum typing speed of 35wpm on a computer.
7. Working knowledge of the computer, and basic level competence in MS word, Excel, Access.
8. Ability to work effectively in a culturally diverse setting.
9. Team Player, self-motivated, must be able to work independently as well as collectively to complete daily tasks.
10. Bilingual (English/Spanish) required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (NOTE: The following are the primary duties performed by employees in this classification. Individual assignments may vary and employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level.)
1. Answers all incoming telephone calls; greets visitors/patients; registers patients, verifies insurance and program eligibility, verifies and schedules appointments, bills for services, establishes fees, and payment schedules.
2. Performs routine clerical tasks such as sorting, opening distributing mail, filing, copying, and making patient reminder phone calls. May be asked to provide translation services for clients.
3. Performs chart audits including assuring that mental health charts are complete and accurate by following up on inconsistencies and omissions with appropriate personnel.
4. Collects and enters data in various computers to register patients, bill for services, verify insurance & authorization, establish fees, collect fees and develop payment plans.
5. Assumes responsibility for complex billing, collection of information and statistical record keeping operation and report preparation which may involve careful and detailed auditing or program claims, billing documents, mental health records.
6. Observes patients in the clinic and over the phone and reports concerns to clinical staff. Carries out clinical plan established by treatment team regarding limit setting or a specific response regarding a client’s interaction with clerical staff.
7. Assumes responsibility for a departmental requirement which includes overseeing, tracking, monitoring, and addressing problems that occur with the assigned function. Examples of function will include: Fiscal Review-verifying accuracy between billing and client-data, closing charts and maintaining medical records.
8. Other duties as assigned by supervisor.