JOB TITLE: DENTAL HYGIENIST
DEPARTMENT: TRANSIT VILLAGE DENTAL
REPORTS TO: ASSOCIATE DENTAL DIRECTOR
STATUS: NON-EXEMPT (NON-UNION POSITION)
SALARY: $41.1264 PER HOUR W/NO FRINGE BENEFITS
ABOUT THE POSITION: Under general direction the individual in this position is to provide dental hygiene treatment to adults and children as well as provide group and individual patient instructions in dental hygiene. The individual in this position will be scheduled to work evening hours and Saturdays.
1. Requires California State License to practice as a dental hygienist, plus licensure in dental radiographs; anesthesia certification preferred.
2. Knowledge of the modern principles, practices and techniques of dental hygienist; dental terminology and dental science; methods and procedures for prevention of dental diseases and the required corrective treatment; methods and materials used in a dental health educational program.
3. Knowledge of dental hygiene in instruction of patients; use of equipment and instruments in examining and cleaning teeth.
4. Ability to work effectively as a team member essential.
5. Ability to give group and individual instructions in dental hygiene; write and speak effectively; establish and maintain good relations with lay and professional personnel and gain their cooperation in the achievement of dental health objectives; deal courteously, effectively and tactfully with patients.
6. Knowledge of OSHA Blood borne Pathogen Standard and adherence to safety rules and professional standards.
7. Manual dexterity to operate equipment for proper cleaning and examination. Requires visual and
hearing acuity corrected to normal range.
8. Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Performs dental prophylaxis, removing deposits (plaque, tartar, stain) from the teeth.
2. Applies preventive agents such as fluoride and sealants to the tooth surfaces.
3. Takes and develops necessary radiographs.
4. Examines teeth and gums for signs of disease or decay. Charts such conditions for further diagnosis and treatment by dentist and for proper patient record maintenance.
5. Instructs patients in proper oral hygiene.
6. Accurately reports all procedures to billing staff for proper billing to patient or third party payers.
7. Assists dentist, as required, in further treatment of teeth and gums.
8. Attends meetings as required.
9. Other duties as assigned by supervisor.