Join the Quantum Dot Pioneers!
Nanosys is building a Quantum Dot revolution, combining scientific expertise with awareness of the system needs of TV and display manufacturers. Our Quantum dots improve the power efficiency, brightness and color performance of LED LCD displays. This enables LCDs to compete with and even outperform OLED displays. Nanosys has more than 30 products in the market from top brands like Samsung, Sharp, Vizio, TCL, Hisense and ASUS. Well over a million devices with Quantum Dots shipped in 2015 ranging in size from 7” to 88”.
Today, Quantum Dot displays are built just like LED displays. The quantum dots are added to the backlight of the display in the form of a translucent plastic film that is coated with quantum dots. Each sheet of film contains literally trillions of Quantum Dots. In this mode, the Quantum Dots are improving existing LED displays by enabling them to be more power efficient and by increasing their color performance by over 50%.
We are currently ramping up the development of our next generation Quantum Dot devices and it’s for this reason that we invite you to consider the following opportunity at Nanosys.
Formulations Chemist – Polymers and Coatings
The ideal candidate will have several years of industrial experience in a manufacturing environment working on development projects, formulating and testing resins used in the production of thin films, coatings, or encapsulants. He/she will need to be very familiar with polymer and resin chemistry and ideally will have formulated nano-composites or other multi-component polymer systems and processed them into films or other form factors. In this role you will work with our polymer science team and with minimal guidance will formulate new resins and set up a testing process to ensure that the new materials meet current and future performance requirements. Ideally you will be able to draw upon several years of testing experience in order to devise new methods of film/material analysis.
Summary of essential job functions:
- Formulate resin chemistries that meet current film (QDEF) specifications and work with the polymer science team to develop new chemistries for the film development program.
- Regularly create test plans that include experimental design for the continual analysis of new resins and films.
- Execute and monitor test results and subsequently analyze and interpret the resulting data.
- Incorporate quantum dots into polymer resin systems using a variety of methods that include techniques applicable to roll-to-roll coating processes.
- Interpret optical performance and reliability results for iterative improvement.
- Carry out Polymer/Oligomer/Organic synthesis or modifications.
- Collaborate with and take direction from senior scientists, and independently work on assigned projects in a deadline orientated production environment.
- Investigate polymer and materials degradation mechanisms.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive background in polymer or organic synthesis, formulation and characterization with films/laminates/encapsulants for the optical or display industries.
- Proficiency with polymer characterization methods - e.g. DMA, thermal analysis, rheology, spectroscopy and the underlying theory.
- Ability to apply test results to product performance metrics.
- Ability to utilize and formulate with resins, surfactants, pigments, and dispersants used in optical films. Hands on experience in experimental design, analysis and reporting.
- High energy, goal oriented results driven and communicative, Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a high degree of self-autonomy.
- Attitude of proactive problem solving and a work ethic of carrying out assigned projects to completion.
- Familiarity with optical films or quantum dots desirable.
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Experience developing coatings or other encapsulants specifically for display or optical applications.
- Experience in radiation curable coatings or structural adhesives. Experience with nanocomposites or multi component polymer systems.
- Experience in polymer processing and bench top and manufacturing-scale film coating processes.
Education & Experience:
· A Bachelors or Masters degree in one of the following or a very closely related scientific discipline; Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Polymer Science or Material Science.
· A minimum of 5 years relevant industrial experience in either the chemical, semi-conductor or materials development industry.
Nanosys offers competitive salary with a wide range of benefits including a comprehensive health plan, basic life and AD&D, short and long-term disability insurance, 401(k) savings plan, paid time off, paid holidays, employee referral program and stock options.