|Join the Quantum Dot Pioneers!
Nanosys is building a Quantum Dot revolution, combining scientific expertise with awareness of the system needs of TV and display manufacturers.
Our Quantum dots improve the power efficiency, brightness and color performance of LED LCD displays. This enables LCDs to compete with and even outperform OLED displays. Nanosys has more than 30 products in the market from top brands like Samsung, Sharp, Vizio, TCL, Hisense and ASUS. Well over a million devices with Quantum Dots shipped in 2015 ranging in size from 7” to 88”.
Today, Quantum Dot displays are built just like LED displays. The quantum dots are added to the backlight of the display in the form of a translucent plastic film that is coated with quantum dots. Each sheet of film contains literally trillions of Quantum Dots. In this mode, the Quantum Dots are improving existing LED displays by enabling them to be more power efficient and by increasing their color performance by over 50%.
We are currently ramping up the development of our next generation Quantum Dot devices. This involves the development of new formulations that enable the material to be printed, patterned and applied in electroluminescent device structures. It’s for this reason that we invite you to consider the following opportunity at Nanosys;
R&D Optical Engineer – LED Displays #980
- New product development - This is a technical R&D role whose ultimate aim is to help develop new implementations of our quantum dot technology in next generation displays with improved brightness, color gamut, lifetime, and lower cost.
- Design experiments and new test equipment to generate data that will be used to characterize the qualities and performance of both new and existing materials.
- Prototyping. Design and build prototype optical, thin film and measurement devices as needed to support new areas of investigation and help solve characterization and materials performance challenges. Develop test systems to generate “feedback” for the synthesis and manufacturing groups and make subsequent recommendations to resolve issues and drive development.
- Problem solving. Work on projects such as the following: design, run and then analyze the results of your experiments aimed at determining the optimal composition of a thin film quantum dot layer designed to maximize light output and efficiency. Solve diverse problems ranging from the accuracy of light measurements to the ideal form factor of a device that must be manufactured en masse.
- Present results to the R&D team, review problems and challenges and work creatively to generate technical solutions.
- Experience with building and testing optical and electrical systems, including display devices and illumination sources.
- Extensive knowledge of optical measurement techniques, tools, instruments, and systems.
- Strong grasp of fundamental optical principles.
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills, good organizational skills.
- Communicate and work well with multidisciplinary groups.
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Spectroscopy, spectral measurement and analysis, fluorescence.
- Radiometry, photometry, colorimetry.
- Optical modeling software (such as Zemax) as well as home-grown optical models.
- Mechanical design software (such as SolidWorks).
- Light machining to fabricate or modify test fixtures.
- Programming in VBA, LabVIEW, or MATLAB for data analysis and instrument control, understanding of statistics, spectra.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
- Ph.D. in physics, applied physics, mechanical engineering, materials science, or optics with at least 2 years’ industrial experience or M.S. with 5 years’ experience or equivalent
- Please note that we are not looking for an ‘Optical Engineer’ who is focused on designing lenses or is concerned with imaging. We are looking for someone who has designed and built their own equipment in order to analyze materials or processes that were previously untested.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Demands include: walking, standing, sitting, use of hands or fingers to handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk and hear, lift up to 40 pounds, close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less), distant vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more), color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors), peripheral vision (ability to observe and area that can be seen up and down or to the left and right while eyes are fixed on a given point), Depth perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships), ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus). Must be able to safely wear necessary personal protective equipment in designated areas i.e. lab coat, safety glasses. Must be able to respond to visual and audible alarms.
Work is performed in either a laboratory environment or manufacturing setting. The ambient noise level in the work environment is moderate. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to hazardous chemicals.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Nanosys offers competitive salary including stock options with a wide range of benefits including a comprehensive health plan, basic life and AD&D, short and long-term disability insurance, 401(k) savings plan, 4 weeks paid time off and 11 paid holidays.