PLEASE NOTE: Qualified applicants must electronically submit a brief cover letter, CV or current resume, and the contact information for three professional references (all saved as one document) via this online application. The application tool will only allow one document for upload.
July 1, 2015
POSITION: Student Accounts Collector
DEPARTMENT: Student Accounts
SUPERVISOR: Donna Vieu, Director of Student Accounts
American International College is a private, coeducational institution of higher education located on a 70+ acre campus in Springfield, Massachusetts. The campus has 42 buildings with a total of approximately 660,000 gross square feet. Included in the inventory of buildings are student residences for a resident population of 900 students. Founded in 1885, the College has 3500 graduate and undergraduate students. AIC offers a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs through the Schools of Business, Arts and Sciences; Health Sciences; and Graduate and Adult Education. The mission of the College is to transform student lives through career focused learning, with a strong foundation in the liberal arts, a commitment to serving the community, and a high level of involvement in the global economy.
Under the direction of the Director of Student Accounts, the Student Accounts Collector will monitor payments received and student payment plans and commitments, and prepare accurate/timely status reports and projections.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
* Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of AIC's tuition billing and in-house collection policies and procedures.
* Minimize the College's bad debts by using AR aging reports and other tools to monitor and improve collection efforts. Analyze exposures and, along with the Student Accounts Director, prepare (and provide support for) a recommended reasonable bad debt allowance for approval by financial management.
* Maintain the Quick Books information system until converted to the new Student Accounts info system.
* Prepare and monitor AR aging reports and communicate student account issues to management to improve timely payment of all student charges, tuition and fees.
* Maintain appropriate follow up records and status reports for the collections activities of outside counsel as directed by the Director of Student Accounts; assist with providing information promptly to assist counsel.
* As requested, assists the Director with the anticipated conversion to a new Student Accounts information system.
* Resolve problems or questions in a customer friendly and timely manner, including financial issues with students, staff, and other College constituencies.
* Coordinate the activities of outside counsel and collection agencies to maximize collections while minimizing fees.
* Process and monitor both disbursements and collections of the College Perkins loan program. Learn to work in the UAS system database to maximize collections efforts.
* Complete other duties as assigned including special projects for the Director of Student Accounts or others.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Bachelor’s degree required (Accounting or Finance preferred).
* Experience in an academic/student accounts environment.
* Proficient in Excel, Word and other data analysis software applications.
* Experience in QuickBooks.
* Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills required along with demonstrated ability to analyze and communicate information.
* Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently.
* Strong sense of urgency and commitment to thoroughness and accuracy.
* Strong attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
* Self-starter, highly motivated and goal oriented.
The Student Accounts Collector is a full time, twelve (12) month, exempt position not limited to 35 hours per week with hours of work flexible to the needs of the department. This is a benefit eligible position.
Qualified applicants must electronically submit a cover letter, current resume or CV summarizing your qualifications and the contact information for three professional references (all saved as one document) via this online application:
AIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.