TechTarget’s BusinessApplications and Architecture Media Group is seeking a News Editor to cover two sites, SearchManufacturingERP.com and SearchSAP.com, and produce user-focused content and manage day-to-day activities of the sites.
The ideal candidate will be deadline-oriented with experience in writing news and feature stories for online or print publications, including a demonstrated ability to plan, research and produce a steady stream of original content. High-quality writing and reporting skills are essential. Knowledge of the business applications markets or other enterprise IT fields is a plus, as is experience in interacting with and creating content for technology and business professionals.
The News Editor will collaborate with other team members on a regular basis; as a result, this position requires excellent communication skills and an aptitude for teamwork. It also requires strong organizational skills and the ability to understand technical concepts and explain them to readers.
In addition, the position involves traveling to and covering relevant trade shows and conferences as well as local events.
Together the two sites cover the broad industry of ERP software, focusing on the major vendors such as SAP, Oracle, Infor and Microsoft, on topics including enterprise resource planning, supply chain, logistics, associated products, and the vendor ecosystem that services the ERP market.
This position will require a grasp of not only the technology concerns and issues covered on the site but also the business implications of these technologies. Content will span both tactical and strategic issues, so the editor should feel comfortable working with learning content as well as news/features.
Essential job functions:
- Developing an understanding of ERP technology
- Reporting and writing three pieces of content per week.
- Producing at least one user profile or case study per month
- Planning and recording at least one webcast, video or podcast per quarter with technology users or analysts/consultants
- Contributing additional stories for e-publications and other special projects as needed
- Establishing fruitful relationships with technology vendors and users
- Applying search engine optimization (SEO) techniques and best practices in articles
- Using social media platforms to promote editorial content
- Attending/covering conferences and other events (likely one to two per quarter requiring travel)
Knowledge, skills and abilities required:
- At least two years of experience in news and/or feature reporting for online/print publications, with relevant IT journalism experience a plus
- Strong reporting and writing skills, including the ability to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent organizational and communication skills and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Critical thinking skills, including an aptitude for understanding technical subjects and concepts
- The ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple deadlines
- Experience with content creation systems and applications such as Word and Excel
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications or another relevant subject area