Full Time Exempt
Closes: August 25, 2017GRTC Transit System
in Richmond, Virginia seeks a results oriented professional who excels in working in a fast paced environment. The ideal candidate will possess integrity, excellent problem solving skills, proven decision-making skills and excellent communication skills. WHO MAY APPLY This position is open to all GRTC employees and the general public. Candidates MUST have at minimum a Virginia Class B CDL License Learner’s Permit with a Passenger Endorsement and Airbrake Qualification. Preference will be given to those who already hold a CDL Class B License with Passenger endorsement. Candidates must also have a five (5) point balance on their driving record and be able to pass a background check, a pre-employment drug test and a DOT physical HOW TO APPLYCandidates may apply online www.ridegrtc.com
The ability to work a flexible work schedule is required. Work hours may include four (4) ten hour shifts, nights and weekends, depending on work assignment.
Responsible for supervising and monitoring the activities of the bus operators and van drivers on a daily basis, to include: exercising considerable discretion and independent judgment in reacting to accidents and other unforeseen events (i.e. ice on roads, mechanical failures, re-routing vehicles around accidents or obstacles). Provide on-street supervision to ensure compliance with operating standards and to assist operators with problems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Other duties may be assigned.
- Inspects all in-service vehicles to ensure they are maintaining their headways, to include analyzing running times, frequency needs, passenger loads and time point checks.
- Monitors conditions of streets, bus stop areas, bus shelters, broken sign posts, broken bus stop signs, overhanging tree limbs, overhanging posts, etc. and reports findings to Transportation Manager.
- Monitors all phases of on line and end of line operations of bus fleet, directs and coordinates the maintenance of schedules, fare collections, transfer problems, reporting of hazardous conditions and emergencies, and accident investigations.
- Supervises, instructs, and conducts routine checks of operators relative to schedule adherence, route, proper signage, traffic regulations, safety, operating rules and policies, uniform regulation, general appearance, physical condition, attitude toward the public, proper fare collection, and general demeanor; documents daily activity as required.
- Evaluates schedules, conducts passenger counts and recommends service modifications.
- Monitors the radio system to maintain contact with transit vehicle operators to monitor and control on-street service and to respond to emergencies and special needs.
- Provides on-street supervision of transit operators to ensure compliance with operating standards and to assist with problems; re-establishes schedules in case of breakdowns; controls unruly passengers; suggests alternative routing due to accidents.
- Follows buses on routes where damage is notices on a routine basis to see what hazards are causing damage.
- Sands icy and slick spots at intersections and on roads when weather conditions necessitate.
- Responds to calls concerning trouble on in-service buses and reports same; includes mechanical trouble.
- Arranges for a support bus to transport passengers when an accident or problem occurs to eliminate delays and assists in unloading and loading of passengers.
- Performs traffic checks at various locations where problems occur.
- Prepares daily operational reports regarding road failures, accidents, vehicle changes, run numbers, vehicle mileage, farebox problems, etc.
- Ensures that specific items are in his/her possession that have been assigned for normal performance of duties, such as: camera, film, accident reports, emergency transfers, supervisor’s daily report/checklist, tools, schedules, headway book, extra mirrors, witness cards, street directory, salt and/or sand, accident brief pad, union agreement, employee handbook, Drug and Alcohol Policy, scratch pad and clipboard.
- Maintain effective working relationship with Operators, Supervisors, and Maintenance personnel.
- Prepares daily and special reports as required, using good basic writing skills.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills essential to Job Functions
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of all aspects of transit operations and safety programs.
- Knowledge of the service area.
- Knowledge of policies and procedures, rules and regulations affecting transit operation.
- Knowledge of union contract provision, especially those affecting operators' hours and pay.
- Ability to speak clearly and concisely, to understand views and concerns of others, to operate a radio system, to solve operator problems and to take effective action in emergencies.
- Ability to enter, correct and retrieve data using spreadsheets and word-processing software.
- Knowledge of all routes, transfers rules, fare structure, and operating procedures.
- Knowledge of the Drug and Alcohol Policy.
- Ability to follow through on mechanical and emergency alarms; determines nature of problem; takes appropriate action including providing guidance, calling police; contacting other appropriate personnel within or outside the agency.
- Knowledge of proper accident investigation.
- Ability to make sound decisions.
- Ability to perform dispatching duties as needed.
- Excellent computer skills required and online systems experience preferred. Ability to enter, correct and retrieve data using spreadsheets and word-processing software. Radio CAD/AVL experience preferred.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- Experience in the transit industry or trucking experience preferred.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Commercial Drivers License required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills required.
- Computer experience required.
- CAD/AVL experience preferred.
GRTC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER WHO VALUES DIVERSITY IN THE WORKFORCE. GRTC IS A DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE.