This position plays an integral part in ODU’s digital marketing and communication efforts. Primarily is responsible for generating/optimizing web content for the public facing site and social media accounts.
Continuously identifies areas of the web site that needs assistance with writing, design, accessibility, functionality, consistency and properly portraying the ODU brand, and initiatives/manages projects to provide such assistance. This position will work closely with design/editorial personnel, faculty, staff and students to ensure that all public-facing web and social media content is complete and accurate by creating, revising, testing, and maintaining both the content and layout within the Sitefinity Content Management System.
Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills, logical thinking, attention to detail, ability to work independently, manage multiple projects effectively, work collaboratively in inter-departmental teams, and to be responsive under deadline pressure.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Help to define strategic direction for web and social media content in collaboration with marketing and other stakeholders.
- Maintain processes for all stages of web content creation and maintenance, including editorial calendars and documentation.
- Manage site content, promotions, audience communications, and marketing programs.
- Educate internal stakeholders about best web practices and internal processes.
- Make recommendations regarding the design of content layout, templates, navigation, and other functionality based on input and changing technologies.
- Drive website performance metrics through the effective integration of key words, implementation of organic SEO tactics, and inclusion of relevant content.
- Plan strategic campaigns for target audiences for each platform to realize goals (traffic to website, increase event attendance, etc.).
- Generate compelling daily content (text images, links to pages or video) that encourages engagement, promotes the university identity, and prompts action.
- Monitor/suggest emerging social media platforms and technologies (YikYak, Hyperlapse, Periscope, etc).
- Track monthly analytics and adjust campaigns accordingly.
- Skilled in writing and using graphics for social media.
- Experienced with established social media platforms and best practices (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Google+, YouTube).
- Familiarity with use of third-party platforms such as Formstack, Authorize.net, etc.
- Experience using planning tools such as Hootsuite and Crowdbooster.
- Occasional attendance at school functions for live social media coverage
- Coordinate with IT on relevant technology issues.
- Implement best practices in higher education websites to attract students and build alumni loyalty.
- Conduct student and alumni focus groups to determine content effectiveness and direction.
- Occasional before and after-hours web needs for special alerts, such as snow days.
· A Bachelor’s degree in communication, marketing or related fields.
· 5 years’ experience in web design and/or related content production (2-3 sample sites are requested).
· Experience in feature, news and/or promotional writing (concisely for the Web).
· A working knowledge of HTML, understanding principals of sound Web design including information flow and graphic optimization.
· Understanding accessibility standards.
· Experience working in a team environment, strong people skills, and strong organizational/task management skills.
· Basic graphic design skills, i.e. Photoshop.
· Experience in higher education is a plus.