Ohio Dominican University is conducting a search for a Director of Public Safety.
Ohio Dominican University is a coed, four-year private university in Columbus, Ohio, with approximately 3,000 students from 13 states and 20 foreign countries. Our reputation is based on a 100-year history of providing the highest quality education in a personal environment steeped in our Catholic and Dominican tradition and values. Our students experience a strong academic program with dedicated and talented faculty and individualized attention. The distinctive beauty of our campus makes it an ideal setting for learning and living.
The Director Public Safety provides administrative leadership and operational management for the ODU Public Safety Department. The Director assumes responsibility for the safety and security of Ohio Dominican University students, staff, faculty and visitors, through the professional operation of the University Public Safety Department. The Director helps to ensure a safe and welcoming environment through collaboratively working with the Vice Presidents, human resources, student development, residence life and other departments across campus to execute, implement policies, procedures, and educational programs related to campus safety and security including environmental health, OSHA, fire prevention, best practices, emergency management, crime prevention and compliance with federal, state and local laws.
- A Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent combination of education and experience is required with a Master’s degree preferred
Qualified candidates will possess the following:
- Must possess a minimum of five years management experience within a university police, public safety or security department in a university setting
- Demonstrated experience in managing the people aspects, technical aspects and electronic aspects of a growing security program
- Working knowledge of Environmental, Health and Safety including hazardous materials and OSHA compliance for the University environment; a track record of cost effective financial management and commitment to excellent customer service
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills, using a team-based approach needed
- Ability to promote and maintain a productive and collaborative environment with diverse constituencies, both internal and external to the department and the University
- Strong interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills; must be able to confront others and diffuse situations in a polite and professional manner
- Demonstrated experience and sensitivity in dealing with college students, faculty and staff representing a diversity of culture, backgrounds and experiences
Ohio Dominican offers a comprehensive total rewards package that includes tuition benefits, generous retirement contribution and a professional working environment. Review of applications will begin immediately. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter with salary requirements, resume and contact information for three professional references.
Ohio Dominican University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.